Monday, June 14, 2010

Unapologetic Rock

The question is common, the answer is predictable:

"What's your favorite kind of music?"

"Oh, I'm down with everything."

Even if you believe you've got the most eclectic taste in tunes, you know there's something that just gets you going a bit more than everything else.

For me, it's always been rock, tinged with disobedience, machismo, and humor...and when I say tinged, I mean slathered.

This thought occurred to me a few days ago while listening to J Roddy Walston and the Business. You see, I immediately knew I would be all over their recently released EP "Don't Break the Needle". J Roddy sounds as if he were spitting his vocals into the mic after a weekend bender, possibly still inebriated and certainly in for a nasty hangover. On "Brave Man's Death," he sings about stealing his mother's hard-earned cash and being unable to love his kids. J Roddy, thank you for keeping this beautiful thing we call Rock 'n Roll alive.

http://www.theburningear.com/media/2010/06/J-Roddy-Walston-and-The-Business-Brave-Mans-Death.mp3

No comments:

Post a Comment