Thursday, June 3, 2010

Sleigh Bells vs. Christianity

Track after track on Sleigh Bells' debut album "Treats" possesses the Holy Trinity of a great song: fat beats, dirty guitars, and saccharine vocals. I'm on a mission to spread the good news.

I was first introduced to Sleigh Bells via "Rill Rill," a low-key, Funkadelic-sampling, acoustic tune. I was pleased, but wrote the band off as one of those dream pop acts that seem to have infiltrated the music scene of late. Then I heard "Crown on the Ground"...

Guitar/beats man, Derek Miller lets it fly right from the beginning with a screaming little guitar riff, while singer Alexis Krauss joins in with a jittery, pep-rally vocal chant. The bass is heavy and the lyrics are singable. What's not to like?!

The album more or less follows suit, with 2- and 3-minute tracks that deliver infectious, danceable beats throughout. This album is perfect for my morning commute, and I plan on rocking out in my car well into the foreseeable future.

I also plan to see them perform live at Pitchfork on July 18. Will you follow?
http://www.pitchforkmusicfestival.com/index.php?d=sunday

Listen: "Crown on the Ground"
http://tympanogram.com/files/Sleigh-Bells-Crown-On-the-Ground.mp3

No comments:

Post a Comment