Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Dear Chicago: Driving in You Sucks!

My car was pooped on this weekend. No, no it wasn't a pigeon nor was it Dave Matthews' tour bus pulling a quickie refuse dump. I was flashed by a Red Light Violation Camera at an intersection for a right turn during a red light...that's right, bullshit.

I expect the $100 ticket to come in the mail any day now; it'll tell me to make my check payable to the Chicago Dept. of Revenue.

The laws of physics have us here, citizens of Chicago. Unless you're featherfoot McGee and have a knack for reading obscure traffic signs, everyone who drives in the city regularly is bound to get flashed by the robotic red light brigade. As a matter of fact, I bet I'll have racked up two more by 2011.

My experience this Memorial Day Monday immediately set my veins aflame, and my blood was still boiling hours later. I already pay IL income tax, city property tax, the highest sales tax in the country (10.25 %), and an annual $120 zoned parking sticker. I don't have much more to give; my June budget is now ruined, and I won't be able to afford those gray skinny jeans I've been eyeing at Anthro.

I need to take a stroll...and I won't be jaywalking.

No comments:

Post a Comment