Monday, June 7, 2010

Mustang, You Had Me at "Hello"

I can think of some pretty gripping car commercials--Cadillac instantly comes to mind with their use of Led Zeppelin's "Rock and Roll" and Phoenix's "1901," while Lincoln was memorable with Cat Power's "Space Oddity" cover--but I have to say that Ford's 2011 V6 Mustang ad has me.

The song is Band of Skulls' "Light of the Morning," and, played while images of America's most recognizable sports car rip dirtily across the screen, the result is indelible. I want a Mustang; Ford marketing, job well done.
It's the inherent sexiness of this fast machine paired with the Skulls' passionate and wanton sonic delivery. The throwback look of the restyled Mustang is similarly echoed by the retro rock feel of "Light of the Morning" and perhaps it's this nostalgic yearning for better, more carefree times that strikes an emotional chord...work is the furthest thing from sexy, but it's amazing how a minute-long spot, viewed from my drab little cube, gets my blood pumping.

No comments:

Post a Comment