Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Owen Pallett a.k.a. Final Fantasy a.k.a. Arcade Fire Guy

Owen Pallett came onto my radar after watching his A.V. Undercover clip (see August 4 post). He was one of those artists I had read about a lot, due to buzz surrounding the release of his album Heartland early this year, but until that one-song performance I had never actually listened. I was an immediate convert. Turns out he's immensely gifted - one of those people who just opens his mouth or picks up a violin and, like magic, pretty sounds!

So his sound is certainly orchestral, with theatrical vocals, but he also throws in some electro elements. While listening to Owen, I'm reminded of the Magnetic Fields.

Owen has his hand in quite a few musical projects. He's released three solo albums, one under his real name and two under the name Final Fantasy. He's contributed string arrangements to Arcade Fire, including this summer's The Suburbs. And he's had numerous collaborations with artists like Grizzly Bear, Beirut, and Arctic Monkeys.

All these things are really great, but what actually made me purchase some of Owen's music was my discovery of the title of his second Final Fantasy album: HE POOS CLOUDS!!

">

No comments:

Post a Comment