Sunday, August 8, 2010

Last Nite...Every Bit as Good as I Remember It

Like some people remember the assassination of JFK, I recollect my introduction to the Stokes with vivid clarity. It was 2001, and I was working out on a stationary bike in my basement when those beautifully garage-y chords to "Last Nite" were first strummed through the tv speakers to my ears, courtesy of MTV. I knew that they were something new, and I liked it. And I've liked it ever since.

The Strokes were at Lollapalooza this weekend, and I was for sure in attendance. In classic cool kids fashion, their hour-and-half set began 15 minutes late and ended 15 minutes early (granted, they probably couldn't have filled that span of time even playing their entire catalogue). The band sounded great and acted just the right amount of drunk. Julian's voice was in fine form, sounding, more than ever, as if he were singing from the depths of a cardboard fridge box. Albert and Nick took turns taking Strokes-sized guitar solos (little, fast, and nicely articulated), while Fab and Nicolai kept good-looking time in the background. Red, white, and black LED-style back lighting kept the boys silhouetted in dramatic and impersonal Rock Star fashion.

The band has a new album slated for release in March of 2011..it's already been delayed, so don't hold your breath unless you've got Michael Phelps lungs.

Here's that earth-shattering video. It's just as good and instantly classic as I remember, complete with subliminal messages, burning cigarettes on fret boards, whiskey swigging, and mic throwing.

No comments:

Post a Comment