Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Robert Plant Still Sounding Good


As much as I love Robert Plant, there are certain times when I have a difficult time listening to him sing. After Led Zeppelin broke up in 1980, he started releasing material on his own, and I've never been a huge fan of that stuff...I thought his voice was whiney and oddly falsetto. I was so relieved to hear he still had it in 2007, with the release of Raising Sand, the great and memorable album he did with Alison Krauss.

He's back at it with his new album Band of Joy, which just so happens to be the name of his very first band from back in the '60's. The record's a collection of cover material and in a similar vein sound-wise as the Raising Sand stuff - old-school, blues, bluegrass. Not quite Zeppelin-style rocking out, but the man's 62 anyhow.

A couple instant faves are "Silver Rider" and "Harm's Swift Way." Listen here:


Band of Joy's official release date is Sept. 14.

No comments:

Post a Comment